- Physical, cultural or linguistic characteristics associated with a national origin group;
- Marriage to or association with persons of a national origin group;
- Tribal affiliation;
- Membership in or association with an organization identified with or seeking to promote the interests of a national origin group;
- Attendance or participation in schools, churches, temples, mosques or other religious institutions generally used by persons of a national origin group; and
- Name that is associated with a national origin group.
On July 1, 2018, new regulations will go into effect under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) that are designed to prevent discrimination based on an employee’s national origin. National origin discrimination is already illegal in California, but these new regulations expand on those existing prohibitions, and protect both employees and applicants, including undocumented employees and applicants. The new regulations define “national origin” broadly to include an individual’s actual or perceived